Grownup Gripe: Haters are going to hate no matter what age we are, it’s a sad fact of life.
Don’t be naive. There are bad people out there. These days it seems worse than ever.
Now with the advent of the internet a whole new layer of trolls came out of the woodwork and life’s losers can hide behind a computer screen. The web is a bully’s playground, they have it easier than ever.
Hate to sound like an old fart again but back in my day we said “come here and say it to my face.” These online bullies don’t have to.
My heart goes out to our children because they have to tackle a whole other level of this BS. Either way it’s dished out, IT SUCKS!
Whether it’s online bullying or old fashioned face-to-face, here are some tips to GET THEM OFF YOUR BACK ONCE AND FOR ALL
Some are sure to disagree with a few of these tactics but I learned them from my Mama. I was the runt of the class, lived in a church growing up and never bullied because the second someone tried, I squashed it. Mama said fight fire with fire.
Even if you hate confrontation the fact is they’re picking on you for a reason (that being one) they keep getting away with it so you’re making yourself an easy target.
Stop letting them win, here’s how to do it.
Here’s 6 ways to STOP bullies in their tracks!
1. Find their Achilles Heel. In other words what is it they’re embarrassed about?
I know this sounds horrible and fundamentally it isn’t right but what really isn’t right is bullying and you have to nip it in the bud as soon as possible. If not they win. ￼
Hurt people hurt people so the reason they’re picking on you is because they’re not happy with themselves. Find out why.
2. Once you figure out what their Achilles Heel is find the courage to use it against them when they go in on you. Don’t back down! Show them you mean business.
For example when they start bullying you, calmly come back at them with your new intel. Whether it’s a coworker at the office or a mean kid at school if you remind them of what they’re insecure about, they’ll back down.
They actually won’t know what hit them!
Being one step ahead of a bully is always good, you’ll become too much work and they’ll move onto the next (unfortunately).
Stop making it so easy for them. The less you say the more they’ll think they got one on you. Be smart about it but give it right back. Come up with some zingers to keep in your arsenal when they come at you.
3. There’s strength in numbers. The more allies you can add to your tribe or at least surround yourself with against this bully the better. Even if you’re more of a loner type, join a club or connect with likeminded people so you’re not a lone target.
4. Keep your guard up. Always be aware of your surroundings so you’re ready for anything. Don’t give them control in any situation. You need to be one step ahead.
5. Get help. There’s a theory of thought out there ‘snitches get stitches.’ That may be true in some cases but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If nothing is working you may need to bring in a reinforcement.
You can’t expect someone to be there at all times but find an advocate with authority who can help mitigate the situation.
6. Remember it’s not you, its them that has the problem but unfortunately now they’re making it yours. Don’t let anyone get the best of you. You don’t need to tolerate that!
You teach people how to treat you. If you let them walk all over you, some people will.
Even if it’s not in your character and really uncomfortable for you to stick up for yourself, once you start they’ll eventually back down. It will be too much work.
Treat others the way you want to be treated and most of the time it works out.
If you know somebody who is sick of being someone’s punching bag please share this.